Tuesday 18 August 2009

Favourite Albums - C

Come What(ever) May - Stone Sour (2006)

The more of these I write, or more accurately construct as long monologues in my head, the more I'm aware that they represent as much favourite times in my life as favourite albums. That's certainly the case here.

The time in question is Download Festival 2007, my first "proper" festival. I'd been to these as day events, but this was the first weekender and "Through Glass" was all over the festival radio and on the big screen.

I'd got the album a coulpe of months or so before hand so to speak to "swot" up on bands that had passed me by to make the most of the weekend. It went on, and then on repeat and didn't come for a long time.

Every so often you hear a song and a lyric really speaks to you. This album is chock full of them...
They called us a dead generation, / They told us that we wouldn't survive / They left us alone in the maelstrom / As you can see we're all clearly alive / We know where you are and were coming / Let's see you say that shit to our face - 30/30-150
I don't want to have it all, I just want to have enough! - 30/30-150
You want the world to be free / What the hell is free about it?! - Come What(ever) May
I'm not a victim, Till I let you take me down. - Hell & Consequences
Why can't anybody see what's good for you is bad for me / I can't take your sillyworld / I can't take your sillyworld no more - Sillyworld
I'm over existing in limbo / I'm over the myths and placebos / I don't really mind if I just fade away / I'm ready to live with my family / I'm ready to die in obscurity / 'Cause I'm so tired that I gotta go - Zzyxz Rd

I'll stop there before this becomes a lyrics page and not an album one. But the one that reached me most was "Made of Scars", a reminder of who we are today is the sum of everything we've gone through to this point. The good and the bad.

# Title Length
1 30/30-150 4.18
2 Come What(ever) May 3.39
3 Hell & Consequences 3.33
4 Sillyworld 4.08
5 Made of Scars 3.23
6 Reborn 3.13
7 Your God 4.43
8 Through Glass 4.43
9 Socio 3.20
10 1st Person 4.01
11 Cardiff 4.42
12 Zzyzx Rd 5.16
48:54
Singles
The singles were "30/30-150", "Through Glass", "Sillyworld", "Made of Scars", "Zzyzx Rd". With every song being so amthemic, it's frankly quite hard to go wrong.
single
single
single
single
Favourite Tracks"Made of Scars", "Your God", "Zzyzx Rd", and pretty much every thing else...

No comments:

Post a Comment