Thursday 21 January 2010

When There's Nowhere Else to Run (or Turning 30)

"After thirty years I've become my fears I've become the kind of man I always hated"
A bit strong that, but I didn't write it (James - "Come Home"). I guess I am a corprate "suit" now so it sort of applies. So thirty tomorrow then*, how did we get here then? Ah yes, the relentless march of age. That'd do it.
So how do I feel about it? Well I'd rather not be 30, but to be honest (and to roll out a cliche) it is just a number. Far bigger and more life changing events occured in my 20s such as:
  • Met Bec
  • Graduated Uni
  • Emigrated from Lincoln
  • Bought a house
  • Got a Mortgage and now owe the bank lots of money
  • Got engaged
  • Sold a house
  • Got another mortgage and owe the bank even more money
  • Married Bec
  • Became a Father
  • That one, yeah that one you're thinking of, how could I miss that one? Sorry.

See what I mean? Just a number. Regrets? Yeah I've had a few, but then again to few to menshun (Sid Vicious - "My Way"). Maybe I doth protest too much, we'll see on Friday when it stops being theory and starts being practice.

In summary "I am so much older than I can take" (The Killers - "All These Things That I've Done") but I'm OK with it.

"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch, If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, If all men count with you, but none too much; If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -- Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!"
(Rudyard Kipling - "If")

So, who is for Jelly + Ice Cream?

* Unless we don't count birthdays in 2000 as that number is mainly zeros so it's pretty much not a number, ergo not a year, ergo not a valid birthday! Which makes me still 29. (courtesy of @Rickleton)

No comments:

Post a Comment