Tuesday 16 March 2010

Favourite Albums - R

Honourable Mentions
  • The Real Thing by Faith No More
  • Regular Urban Survivors by Terrorvision
  • Rust in Peace by Megadeth
  • Ride the Lightning by Metallica
  • Rise of the Tyrant by Arch Enemy
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992)
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992)

Seriously, the article for Nevermind could almost be cut and pasted for this one. Tho I'd have to mention the power of the cover too... With a little tweeking it would read something like this:

First off, what a powerful cover to an album, then there is that opening to the album... the instantly recognisable sound of Bombtrack. What can you say about "Killing in the Name" that hasn't already been said? Not a lot, but I'll try anyway. It was one of the songs of being a teenager in the nineties, completely defining. Around the millenium when I was a student in Manchester, no matter what nightclub you stumbled into it was always a possibility "Killing in the Name" would be played as one of the token rock track.

The rest of the album is quality too, for me the only slightly iffy track is "Settle for Nothing" but that's only slightly.

But that would be cheating and I wouldn't do that to you. I could talk about the fact "Killing in the Name" was christmas number one, but that topic has been well covered elsewhere. Instead we'll have another "amusing" anicdote:

For years, Rage were the band that got away. I never got around to seeing them live and they split, so it wasn't going to happen. It was like Soundgarden all over again. Sure, I could go and see Audioslave, but it wouldn't be the same. It would be like when I saw Chris Cornell solo, no matter how good his first solo album was (and it was very good) I'd much rather have been watching Soundgarden. It never helped that Bec had been to Reading when they headlined back in 2000 or '99 and could always end music gig discussions with ".. but I've seen Rage live." Happy ending, they reformed and after much hassle I managed to get day tickets to leeds, they were great (it was awesome to see Tom Morello's guitar work live) and all was right in the world.

Hmm... looks like the bit talking about the album was the cut and paste job from Nevermind. I'd ask for my money back if I were you. See you next time.

Favourite Tracks
"Take the Power Back", "Bullet in the Head", "Wake Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment