Wednesday 17 March 2010

Favourite Albums - S

Honourable Mentions
  • Scars by Soil
  • Scream Aim Fire by Bullet for My Valentine
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden
  • Silver Spoons and Broken Bones by Stone Gods
  • Silver by Moist
Superunknown - Soundgarden (1992)
Superunknown - Soundgarden (1992)

At school, everyone had a band. Not in the sense of performing in one you understand, but you had a band that you liked and defended to the ends of the earth, particularly in the big 3 of grunge, namely Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden. Soundgarden were mind, and this was there best album.

Black Hole Sun was one of the first tracks I got into as a teen. I don't know why, I always associated it with a light orange colour. Probably the word sun in the title I guess!

The album itself is a fusion of styles, much like some of Faith No More's albums. You have the straight out thrash of Kickstand and the eastern influences of Half (for me the worst track on the album). And then there's spoons. Spoons! In a rock track - how cool is that?

I think at times it's quite a desolate album. She lived like a murder / But she died / Just like suicide from Like Suicide, Words you say never seem / To live up to the ones / Inside your head / The lives we make / Never seem to ever get us anywhere / But dead from The Day I Tried to Live, I know I'm headed for the bottom / But I'm riding you all the way from Mailman and I'm only faking / When I get it right / Cause I fell on / Black days / How would I know / That this could be my fate from Fell on Black Days. But with Chris Cornell's voice it is the uplifiting kind of desolation. I hope that makes sense.

Just remembered when I tried to find out the lyrics to Mailman while I was at school. Good times.

We've also spoken about bands that got away previously, I have something that ties into that - a mental list of must see bands. Soundgarden were a band that got away, but since they've reformed they've moved to my mental list of must see bands. Currently that's Rob Zombie, Weezer and Soundgarden. This list is how I end up in fields with Dizzee Rascal.

I'll always be alive in the superunknown...

Favourite Tracks
"Black Hole Sun", "The Day I Tried to Live", "Like Suicide", "My Wave"

1 comment:

  1. Got a marvellous mental image of you and Dizzee Rascal wandering around a deserted field looking for Soundgarden! He'd be saying 'I think they went that way' and you'd be 'thanks Dizzee, how come you don't wear boxing gloves anymore?'

    ReplyDelete